Some links on this page are monetized by affiliate programs - see disclosure for details.
A 50th birthday is extremely special. At 50 years old, a person has done many things with their life, from starting a family to starting a career. Many men and women may have their children leave home and may even be grandparents. Contrary to the old saying, 50 isn’t “over the hill.” At this point in life, many people still have many more milestones ahead of them, and in some aspects, you could say that life is really just getting started.
If you’ve been invited to a special 50th birthday celebration, it’s important that you arrive with the right gift. Sure, birthdays aren’t just about gifts, but taking the time to purchase something that you know the recipient will love makes them feel great on their special day. However, if you find that you’re just stumped for a gift, don’t just settle for anything less. Make their day even more memorable by following these tips to selecting the perfect 50th birthday gift.
Check out these Top 10 50th Birthday Gifts They Are Sure To Love
- 1 Check out these Top 10 50th Birthday Gifts They Are Sure To Love
- 1.1 10. Amscan – Over the Hill Inflatable Walker
- 1.2 9. Mark My Words 50th Birthday Mug
- 1.3 8. We Are Better After 50 Because…
- 1.4 7. Keurig K130 Brewing System
- 1.5 6. Char-Broil Classic 480 40000 BTU 4-Burner Gas Grill with Side Burner
- 1.6 5. Haier 12-Bottle Dual Zone Curved Door with Smoked Glass Wine Cellar
- 1.7 4. Seiko Melodies in Motion Musical Wall Clock with 18 Melodies
- 1.8 3. Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor
- 1.9 2. 50th Birthday Gift Basket Box Retro Nostalgic Candy
- 1.10 1. Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker
- 2 What Makes a Great 50th Birthday Gift?
- 3 Types of Gifts To Consider
- 4 How To Choose a 50th Birthday Gift They’ll Love
- 5 Conclusion
This is a great gag gift that’s designed for a 50th birthday. This inflatable walker has lots of warning signs all over it, while it also has a panic button that squeaks when it’s pressed. It is affordable enough that you can purchase it along with a more serious gift.
Please remember, though, if the recipient is sensitive about his or her age and may be embarrassed if presented with this gift, this will not be well-received, and it should not be purchased. However, if the guest of honor has a great sense of humor about getting older, this is something that everyone will get a kick out of.
This cute mug is perfect for anyone turning 50 and because it is so inexpensive, it makes a great gift for acquaintances and coworkers. This mug features a butterfly and floral design, and it has a positive quote about turning 50 printed on the front.
You can pair this with their favorite bag of coffee beans or grounds to make this a complete gift at a great price.
This paperback book, written by Ronna Benjamin and Felice Shapiro is sure to be a hit for a loved one’s 50th birthday celebration. It is funny, clever, and insightful. It is beautifully illustrated, and it points out all of the great things to look forward to after turning 50 years old.
You can make this inexpensive gift even more special by packing it in a basket with a throw blanket, slippers, and a coffee mug, so they can kick back, relax, and have a laid-back night reading this book.
If they need a little get-up-and-go every morning but hate fumbling with their old coffee maker, they surely will appreciate this easy-to-use system from Keurig. It uses coffee cups that are filled with coffee grounds, so there’s no need for filters, measuring, or the mess and hassle of traditional coffee makers.
They can enjoy a delicious cup of hot coffee in just three minutes with this simple single-cup brewing system. It is also easy to clean and maintain. Interested in other single-cup brewing systems? Give these a look.
Family barbecues will be even more fun with the addition of this Char-Broil grill to any backyard. This grill features a large cooking surface, four burners, and a side burner for all of the cooking space needed to feed a crowd. It has a stainless steel lid, handle, and control panel, giving it a modern look, and it’s extremely durable and built to last.
The electronic ignition system makes this grill a cinch to light the very first time for every cookout. Interested in other gas grills? Check these out!
If they love drinking wine with dinner or for the health benefits, give them a place to store their wine without taking up extra room in the refrigerator. This wine cellar looks as good as it functions. It has upper and lower compartments that can be adjusted to different temperatures, and the touch screen controls are easy to use.
The curved door, smoked glass, and black trim give it a modern look that looks great in any kitchen. Models that hold 6, 8, 16, and 18 bottles are also available at different price points.
They’ll always be on time with this unique clock from Seiko, one of the world’s leaders in high-quality timepieces. This wall clock features a rotating pendulum and center ornaments enhanced with Swarovski Elements crystals. It plays 18 melodies, including Christmas music, and it is equipped with a built-in light sensor that turns off melodies when it gets dark.
This musical clock is not only functional; it’s always a great addition to any home décor.
Juicing has become very popular in recent years because of the health benefits. Making your own juice at home is not only great for a weight loss or health program, but it also eliminates the need to purchase expensive juice at the store that’s loaded with preservatives and unnatural ingredients.
The recipient of this juicer will be able to quickly and easily make fresh juice at home without the mess and hassle of other juicers. It has an extra-large chute, a strong motor for chopping through fruits and veggies, and it’s easy to use, maintain, and clean.
Some of the candy in this gift basket includes Razzles, Chuckles, Dots, Pop Rocks, and Turkish Taffy. It comes wrapped in a retro box that is ready for gift-giving.
As a person gets older, staying healthy is more important than ever. This is why this wireless activity tracker from Fitbit can be beneficial for anyone turning 50. It tracks stats including steps taken, calories burned, active times, and how many stairs are climbed. It also tracks sleeping habits and even has a built-in silent alarm.
It syncs easily and wirelessly with computers and most major smartphones. This is a great way to stay active, track sleeping habits, and keep weight at a healthy level.
What Makes a Great 50th Birthday Gift?
Every person is different, so a gift that may work for one 50 year old may not be ideal for another. You should never purchase simply based on the person’s age. Instead, like any other birthday, you should take a few things into consideration to ensure you pick a great gift they’ll love.
• Proceed with caution with gag gifts – A lot of people receive gag gifts for their 50th birthday. Baskets filled with gag items joking about a person’s age can be funny – if they’re given to a person that would find these gifts funny. However, not all people share the same sense of humor, and if you feel as though the recipient may be embarrassed in front of guests at the party or even a little angry about the age jokes, gag gifts should be avoided at all costs. If you decide to purchase a gag gift, make sure to balance it out with a serious gift, as well.
• Who are you buying the gift for? – Your relationship with the recipient will typically influence what you buy, as well as how much you spend. If you’re invited to a distant relative’s bash, for example, you might spend far less than you would on a gift for your dad or spouse. Consider your relationship and how close you are to the recipient in order to set your budget and decide how personal you want to get with your gift.
• What are you willing to spend? – As mentioned above, you want to establish your budget before you even begin shopping. You don’t want to focus too much on the price of the gift, but rather, is it something that the person wants, needs, or will use often? Of course, you should never buy a gift that’s just beyond your means. But don’t let the price tag deter you. If you feel the gift is too inexpensive, put it in a basket with other related items for a custom-made gift basket. If you feel the price is too high, either start saving well ahead of time or search for affordable alternatives.
• Put true meaning behind your gift – You want to show that you care about the recipient, not just bring a gift out of obligation. You can do this by taking their personal interests into account to buy a gift that they are sure to love. Think about everything they like to do or like to use and use that to select a wonderful gift.
Types of Gifts To Consider
• Backyard gifts – If they like to spend time out in the backyard, there are lots of different gifts you can buy. If they cook a mean steak, purchase them a high-quality propane grill they can use to barbecue for the whole family or neighborhood. If they prefer keeping their yard bright and beautiful with plants and flowers, gardening tools or nice planters make great 50th birthday gifts.
• Mobile electronics – At 50, many people have kids, grandkids, and other relatives that may live all around the world. Help them keep in touch with those that mean the most with a tablet or smartphone. With these devices, they can not only send and receive calls from their phones but can also use video calling, play games, use helpful apps, have access to a GPS system for turn-by-turn directions, stay connected with social media, check email, and so much more, all on one device.
• Coffee gifts – If they need coffee to function in the morning, buy them a bag of their favorite roast, along with a few new roasts for them to try. You can make your own basket or purchase a pre-made basket with coffee mugs, biscotti and snacks, and different coffees. If they have an outdated coffee maker, consider purchasing an upgraded model that’s easier to use, including single-serve makers that use cups or pods.
• Personalized gifts – With 50 years under their belts, they have a lot of memories. You can help them relive all of these memories by presenting them with a photo album or scrapbook filled with great photos of friends and family, quotes, and letters from loved ones. You can also consider buying engraved or monogrammed gifts. You can find anything from clocks with engraving plates to monogrammed tumblers to welcome mats. A personalized gift shows them that you really put thought into the gift, making it extra special for a 50th birthday celebration.
How To Choose a 50th Birthday Gift They’ll Love
The most important thing to remember when purchasing any type of birthday gift is to really put thought into it. While a recipient may smile and say thank you when opening the gift you quickly picked up five minutes before they party, they may be feeling disappointed that you haven’t taken note of their interests or even hints that they may been dropped prior to their birthday regarding items they were interested in.
You simply cannot purchase a generic gift, especially not for an occasion as special as a 50th birthday party. However, the process for actually choosing and purchasing the gift doesn’t have to be daunting. In fact, if you plan a budget (and stick with it), brainstorm different ideas that you may think they’ll love, and even dare to venture outside of the box (like taking them on an exciting excursion), you’re sure to find the right gift at the right price. Remember, it’s their birthday, and it’s all about them.
This is not the time to try to change their interests or purchase something that’s more likely to be used by you (if you live in the same home.) Instead, you need to focus on the recipient and buy a gift according to what they need, want, or will be able to use.
Someone turning 50 shouldn’t stress about their age, and the same advice can be said for anyone purchasing a 50th birthday gift. By taking note of what interests the guest of honor, planning carefully, and budgeting so you don’t go overboard, buying a 50th birthday gift can almost be as fun as attending a blowout celebration for this momentous milestone.