The engine of your car is vulnerable to so many chemicals and substances that it’s bound to get dirty after a while. If you want to keep it looking nice and maintained, you have to give it a scrub down from time to time. But how do you clean a car engine? With a high-quality engine cleaner, that’s how.
Engine cleaners are designed to remove the residue left by gas, oil, and various other substances. They typically come in spray bottles which allow them to be easily applied. Looking for the best engine clear on the market? If so, you’ve to the right place.
Compare the Top Ten Best Engine Cleaners of 2018
|1. Auto-Chem Professional Engine Cleaner||Auto-Chem Direct||34 ounces||$$$|
|2. Griot's Garage 10959 Engine Cleaner||Griot's Garage||22 ounces||$$|
|3. Sonax (543200-755) Engine Cold Cleaner||Sonax||17 ounces||$$$|
|4. Gunk FEB1 Foamy Engine Brite Engine Degreaser||Gunk||17 ounces||$$|
|5. Purple Power (4320P) Industrial Strength Cleaner and Degreaser||Purple Power||128 ounces||$|
|6. Simple Green 19010 Foaming Crystal Industrial Cleaner/Degreaser||Simple Green||15 ounces||$$|
|7. Penray 4220 Engine Cleaner and Degreaser||Penray||15 ounces||$$|
|8. Gunk EB1CA 'Original Engine Brite' Engine Degreaser||Gunk||15 ounces||$|
|9. Oil Eater Original 1 Gallon Cleaner||Oil Eater||128 ounces||$|
|10. Chemical Guys CLD_104 Grime Reaper Extremely Strong Degreaser||Chemical Guys||128 ounces||$$|
What to Consider When Choosing an Engine Cleaner
- 1 What to Consider When Choosing an Engine Cleaner
- 2 Best Engine Cleaner: Top 10
- 2.1 1. Auto-Chem Professional Engine Cleaner
- 2.2 2. Griot’s Garage 10959 Engine Cleaner
- 2.3 3. Sonax Engine Cold Cleaner
- 2.4 4. Gunk FEB1 Foamy Engine Brite Engine Degreaser
- 2.5 5. Purple Power Industrial Strength Cleaner and Degreaser
- 2.6 6. Simple Green 19010 Foaming Crystal Industrial Cleaner/Degreaser
- 2.7 7. Penray 4220 Engine Cleaner and Degreaser
- 2.8 8. Gunk EB1CA ‘Original Engine Brite’ Engine Degreaser
- 2.9 9. Oil Eater Original 1 Gallon Cleaner
- 2.10 10. Chemical Guys CLD_104 Grime Reaper Extremely Strong Degreaser
For the most part, all engine cleaners seem to be about the same. They’re transparent liquids which can be used to scrub away grime from your car’s engine. However, there are some differences from cleaner to cleaner. When trying to choose a cleaner, you should look for difference in volume, ingredients, compatibility, and ease of use.
You can buy engine cleaner either in small bottles or in large, industrial-size bottles. If you’re a car enthusiast who looks after your car like it’s your baby, you’d probably be best served by a large bottle. If you’re just looking to clean your engine every once in awhile, you can easily get by with a 12 or 16-ounce bottle.
Engine cleaners contain ingredients of all different kinds. While some cleaners contain all-natural ingredients, others make use of synthetic components to reduce costs. In general, all-natural cleaners are safer to use. However, most synthetic cleaners are fairly safe as well. Just make sure that they don’t contain anything which can damage the look of your engine.
Whereas some engine cleaners are only designed to be used with car engines, others can be used for a variety of different cleaning purposes. Some cleaners will allow you to clean everything from tires, to upholstery, to vinyl, and more.
Ease of Use
For the most part, all engine cleaners are fairly easy to use. The only thing you need to look for is whether or not they come packaged in spray bottles or large jugs. Spray bottles allow for much easier application, while large jugs can be bulky and a little difficult to work with.
Best Engine Cleaner: Top 10
1. Auto-Chem Professional Engine Cleaner
In our estimation, the best engine cleaner on the market today is the Auto-Chem Professional Engine Cleaner. Coming in a 34-ounce bottle, this cleaner is a little on the expensive side, but is worth every penny.
It possesses a clear, transparent color and comes in a spray bottle which allows for easy application. Not only does it help to remove oil and grease from engines, it also helps to clean upholstery, vinyl, and rubber as well.
This is a biodegradable engine cleaner, making it completely safe for both your car and the environment. You won’t have to worry about any premature rusting or corrosion. All in all, this is a terrific engine cleaner; the top engine cleaner on the market.
- 34-ounce bottle allows for quite a few applications
- Works to remove grease and oil from the exterior of engines
- Can also be used on upholstery, rubber, vinyl, and the like
- Spray bottle makes it extremely easy to apply
2. Griot’s Garage 10959 Engine Cleaner
Next up on our list is Griot’s Garage 10959 Engine Cleaner. This is a high-quality engine cleaner which is available for a mid-level price. It comes in bottles of 22 ounces, giving you enough product for several applications.
Unlike with the Auto-Chem cleaner reviewed above, this cleaner is suitable only for engines. But when used for engines, it does a terrific job. It removes grease and oil with just the swipe off a paper towel.
This cleaner is completely safe, and causes no damage to the exterior of your engine. Coming in a spray bottle, it can be applied with the utmost of ease. While it’s not as versatile as the Auto-Chem cleaner, this Griot’s Garage cleaner still does a terrific job of cleaning car engines.
- Comes in a spray bottle for quick and simple application
- Does a terrific job of removing grease and oil
- 22-ounce bottle allows for a decent amount of applications
- Does nothing to damage the exterior of your engine
3. Sonax Engine Cold Cleaner
The next engine cleaner we’ll cover is this one from Sonax. This cleaner is a little on the expensive side, but offers quite a bit in the ways of cleaning and degreasing capabilities. It comes in bottles of 17 ounces.
This cleaner is compatible with everything from engine exteriors, to repair tools, and other metal components. Made with phosphate and containing absolutely no solvents, it’s as safe as they come, capable of removing grease without removing any of your engine’s outer layer.
Unfortunately, this cleaner can’t be used on vinyl, upholstery, or rubber. You could conceivably try it, but you would be risking the safety of your car. If you’re just looking to give your car’s engine a deep clean, this engine cleaner from Sonax is a great choice.
- Removes oils and grease in a quick and convenient manner
- Comes in a spray bottle, making it very easy to apply
- 17-ounce bottle makes it good for a few different applications
- Solvent-free, making it completely safe for your car’s engine
4. Gunk FEB1 Foamy Engine Brite Engine Degreaser
If you’re looking for a great engine cleaner on a budget, you might very well consider the Gunk FEB1 Foamy Engine Brite Engine Degreaser. Coming in a 17-ounce bottle, it’s available for a very reasonable price.
This cleaner is packaged in an aerosol bottle, making it ridiculously easy to apply. It’s compatible with all of the components of your engine, and comes out as a light foam. It cuts through grease and oil like a knife through butter.
It’s a completely safe product when used correctly. Don’t try to use it on rubber or vinyl, as it might cause some damage to those components. Just use it on metal engine parts, and reap the benefits of a cheap, but high-quality engine cleaner.
- Comes in an aerosol can, making it easy to apply
- Wipes away grease and oil from engine components in a rapid manner
- 17-ounce bottle allows for quite a few applications
- Available for a very reasonable price
5. Purple Power Industrial Strength Cleaner and Degreaser
If you’re looking to buy your engine cleaner in bulk, you might very well be interested in this one from Purple Power. This engine cleaner and degreaser comes in big bottles of 1 gallon, allowing for tons of applications.
Not only will this engine cleaner wipe away existing grease and residue, it will also prevent grease and residue from building up. A completely biodegradable substance, it’s safe for both your automobile and the environment.
This cleaner can also be used for a number of other items, including metal countertops, refrigerators, and similar such items. All in all, this is a fantastic engine cleaner. Available for a very reasonable price, it gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
- Available for a very reasonable price
- Wipes away existing grease and prevents the buildup of new grease
- Comes in large 1-gallon bottles
- Completely biodegradable and safe for the environment
6. Simple Green 19010 Foaming Crystal Industrial Cleaner/Degreaser
Up next on our list of best engine cleaner is this cleaner from Simple Green. It’s available for a mid-level price, and offers quite a bit in the ways of both cleaning and degreasing. Possessing a foam consistency, it’s exceedingly easy to spread from place to place.
This cleaner is completely non-toxic, and is safe for both the environment and your automobile. It won’t result in any undue corrosion or rusting on your engine or otherwise. Not only does it work on metal, but on rubber and plastic as well.
Because it comes in an aerosol bottle, it can be easily sprayed onto whatever it needs to be sprayed onto. Overall, this is a very solid engine cleaner. If you’re looking for something with a foamy consistency, this would be a terrific option for you.
- Comes in an aerosol spray bottle, making it very easy to apply
- Does a terrific job of both cleaning and degreasing
- Biodegradable formula ensures that it’s safe for both your car and the environment
- Can be used on plastic and rubber in addition to metal
7. Penray 4220 Engine Cleaner and Degreaser
The next engine cleaner on our list is very similar to the Simple Green reviewed above. Like the Simple Green, the Penray 4220 is a foam cleaner which is available for a mid-level price. Coming in 14.5-ounce spray bottles, it allows for numerous applications.
This cleaner can be used on a number of different materials, from metal, to plastic, to rubber, to cement, and much more. It possesses terrific degreasing capabilities, allowing it to remove stains from all types of surfaces.
Because it possesses a foam consistency, it can be easily applied and spread onto the item that it’s cleaning. All in all, this cleaner and degreaser from Penray is an excellent product. It’s as good as any mid-level engine cleaner you’re going to find.
- Comes in an aerosol can, making it very easy to apply
- Can be used on everything from metal, to plastic, to rubber, to cement
- Completely safe for all engine components
- Works terrifically as a degreaser
8. Gunk EB1CA ‘Original Engine Brite’ Engine Degreaser
If you’re looking for a terrific budget engine cleaner in an aerosol can, you might consider this one from Gunk. The EB1CA is available for a mere pittance, and offers quite a bit in the ways of degreasing and shining capabilities.
This cleaner is designed specifically for engine components. While it could conceivably be used on items such as tires and upholstery, your best bet is to only use it only metal components. This will keep your from unnecessary damage.
Because this cleaner comes in a spray can, it’s exceedingly easy to apply. Just aim it in the general vicinity of the item you’re wishing to clean, and let it fly. For its price, it’s a very solid engine cleaner option; very arguably the best for the money.
- Available for an exceedingly low price
- Comes in aerosol bottles of 15 ounces
- Works as both a cleaner and a degreaser
- Designed specifically to be used on metal engine components
9. Oil Eater Original 1 Gallon Cleaner
Up next is a good, but not great engine cleaner that comes in large bottles of 1 gallon. Oil Eater does a decent job of degreasing, but is not as effective as more high-end cleaners which can essentially wipe grease away on contact.
However, this engine cleaner is still fairly effective. It’s completely safe to both your engine and to the environment, and is still capable of giving your engine a nice, clean shine. One of the good things about it is that it can be used for a variety of different items, from engines, to decks, to floors, and more.
Available for a very reasonable price, it’s a decent option for those who are looking to buy in bulk. There are both worse and better engine cleaners on the market. This one is essentially just a standard cleaner.
- Works on everything from engines, to floors, to decks, and more
- Comes in big bottles of 1 gallon
- Possesses a liquid consistency which must be dabbed on
- Available for a very reasonable price
10. Chemical Guys CLD_104 Grime Reaper Extremely Strong Degreaser
The last engine cleaner on our list is this one from Chemical Guys. Coming in a large 1-gallon size bottle, it possesses good, but not great cleaning and degreasing capabilities. It’s a decent choice for those who are looking to buy in bulk.
This cleaner possesses a pure liquid consistency, meaning that it must be dabbed on with a towel. It’s equipped specifically for cars, and can clean everything from engines, to tires, and door cracks, and more.
Available for a mid-level price, it’s an alright engine cleaner at best. Truthfully, you could probably find something just as good for a lower price. Unless you’re dead set on this cleaner, go with something cheaper.
- Possesses a liquid consistency, meaning it must be applied with a towel
- Can be used on engines, tires, and other car components
- Works as a degreaser and a cleaner
- Comes in jugs of 1 gallon